How to Comment
How to Provide Comment on Council Legislation
The County Council encourages comments on pending legislation. You have several options for making your voice heard:
- Comment electronically through the Council's Comment on Legislation option available on each legislative item scheduled.
- Contact the Council with the online comment form.
- Attend a Council or Committee meeting where the proposal is on the agenda as an action item (see Calendar), and speak to the proposal when open for testimony. The Chair will usually limit testimony to 3 minutes per person.
- Provide written comments at the Council or Committee meeting. If possible, bring 10 copies of any written testimony and hand it to the Clerk for the meeting.
- Provide written comments via postal mail or email. See Contact Us bar for postal mail address. To be effective, these comments need to arrive for Council consideration before the final hearing.
- Call your Councilmember.
Tips for effective testimony:
- Give your name for the record
- Reference the Ordinance or Resolution number, and the topic of the proposal
- Be clear about what you support or oppose in the legislation
- Provide an email address on written testimony or on the sign-up sheet outside the Council Chambers if you would like to be notified of any possible future actions on this proposal. You can also sign up for notification of hearings by topic using the Notify Me icon on the left.